Prayer for the Morning


This is another day, O Lord.

I know not what it will bring forth,

but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be.

If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely.

If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly.

If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently.

And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly.

Make these words more than words,

and give me the Spirit of Jesus.

-the book of common prayer

The weather has been beautiful here the last few days. I've been taking full advantage. Opening windows and letting fresh breezes in, starting to fill boxes in readiness for our upcoming move, heading outside for concerts and dinners with friends.

But the memory of pain is never far behind. The weather is changing and with it come the old aches and creaks I'd put off during the busy high weather pressure days. So yesterday as the clouds decided what they were going to do next, I finished my first prayer shawl. A long time in the making, I thought about the weary hands it will laid in with each double crochet. Praying for comfort and peace for others in pain.

And I found my heart echoing the prayers I pray for others. That my communion with Christ and usefulness would not be dependent upon shifting winds, but steadfast obedience for what He holds for this day. Whether sitting, standing, packing, dining, or doing little, that we all might lean in and listen to what He might have us do. And do it gallantly with His Spirit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pack bravely. And pack up this beauty to be a blessing to a brother or sister in Christ, that they might find comfort in the morning.

Comments