Making Stuff

I'm packing again.

Rather, I should be packing. I'm blogging right now. But I have big plans to pack later.

You know what I'll be packing? Stuff. Craft stuff. Decoupage, yarn, craft paper, stickers, torn-put pages from magazines, stamps, and a sewing machine. Raw material that will one day become a journal, birthday card, memory box, prayer shawl, baby blanket, scrapbook...

Moving into our third dwelling in eight months has me seriously reconsidering all this stuff, and wondering why I hang on to it, why I make stuff. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy cards, buy journals, buy baby gifts...you know, do what normal people do?


But then I look at the quilt covering our bed. With the warmer Spring weather, came a change in linens. Out with the down comforter and in with the lighter quilt. This one just happens to have been handmade by a great-grandmother I never had the pleasure of knowing. But I still have her hand-made beauty wrapping my husband and I as we sweetly slumber.


And I remember why I make stuff...because it's special. Because I want my love for those around me to be represented in every little thing I give them. Whether it's a birthday card that will be tossed or a blanket that will outlast me, I want people to know that I cared.

I cared enough to think of them. I cared enough to box and move craft material to four different states. And I care enough to keep making stuff.

Comments