Just when I was about to call in sick.

It's raining in Iowa.

When it rains by busted disks and fused vertebrae throb. It hurts more than usual. I'm an amazing barometer I tell you.

So I sitting in rainy Iowa feeling cold, and achy, and sorry for myself.

I thought about calling my sweet youth-pastor husband and telling him that I couldn't come to youth tonight. After all, I'm only the fill-in. Usually all the small group leaders show up and I just take off after the large group gathering. Heat pack, blanket, stretchy pants. But that still small voice told me to put on my big girl panties and go.

So I did, and I went.

And a leader had another complication. They needed me. I sat for over an hour as three underclassmen ladies poured out their deepest, scariest, faith questions. Like BIG questions. Questions that even made me sweat a little as I prayed to the Holy Spirit for clear thinking and accurate scripture references.

After I had prayed over them and they left to meet their mothers, one girl turned and said, "Thanks for coming. I'm not sure I totally have all the answers to my questions, but it kind of seems like God is telling me that those doubts aren't really important any more. And I don't think I would be as okay as I am in my faith if I hadn't gotten to just speak those questions."

I'm thankful for the gently nudge to share Hebrews 11-12 with the girls, the kick to get off the chair. Thankful for a God who not only strengthen tired hands and weak knees...but one who eases throbbing backs so that those who follow me will not stumble but will become strong.


Faith is the confidence that what we hope for
will actually happen;
it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation.
By faith we understand that the entire universe
was formed at God’s command,
that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen...
Therefore, since we are surrounded
by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith,
let us strip off every weight that slows us down,
especially the sin that so easily trips us up.
And let us run with endurance the race
God has set before us.
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus,
the champion who initiates and perfects our faith...
So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.
Mark out a straight path for your feet
so that those who are weak and lame
will not fall but become strong.
Hebrews 11-12

Comments