fortress of solitude

I've started calling our home the fortress of solitude for our little Superman.
Because Clark Kent was adopted too, you know.

We've been pretty low-key these past three weeks.
We knew ahead of time that bringing Tedy home would be another jolt to his little system which had endured so much already, so we have intentionally been declining invitations, staying put, and holding him.

That is what I have been doing for the past three weeks.

I get up, hold my baby.
He takes a nap on me while I hold my baby.
I quickly take a shower, then run and grab my robe then air dry and I hold my baby.
I make some coffee with one hand.
Then I put it in a travel mug and I sip it as I hold my baby.

I change diapers, make bottles, check e-mail...all why holding my baby.

And it has been glorious!

We had a follow-up visit with our social worker the other day (while I held my baby of course!)
And she asked if we had noticed any symptoms of post-adoption depression (because hormonal changes, overwhelming responsibility, and lack of sleep aren't only for the biological parents, friends)

And thinking about it, I have cried EVERY DAY since we brought Tedy home. Not because I've been feeling meloncholy, guilty, or stressed...but because I'm walking in the true knowledge of what grace is.

Grace is holding my baby. Kissing that sweet, soft, fuzzy little head while his lips curl into a smile as he dreams on my shoulder.

Grace is watching his eyes light up and his face explode in laughter at Nathan's silly faces.

Grace is having the God-given maternal instincts to awake from a sound sleep just before this sweet baby starts to get hungry each night.

Grace is watching him settle from red-in-the-face-screaming to calm eyes-closed sucking by being soothed by me...his Mama.

So these have been swift days, these past few weeks. Getting used to each other, becoming the expert on what makes Tedy happy. Watching my groom grow into a confident responsive father.
And it has been gloriously sweet here in our fortress of solitude.

 Tedy's so happy getting his clothes changed.
 Tummy Time
 escaping from a swaddle
 this is how I get woken up each morning!
Daddy's Home!

Comments

Amy said…
so, so good. love it!

do you have a good baby carrier, for those times when your arms are tired from his chunky thighs, but you still want him close? :) --or the times when you don't want to put him down, but absolutely have to get something done?
jennymarie1981 said…
I have a Moby wrap that I use when I go out, I love it but it does take a while to get all wrapped up in the car ;)
Amy said…
oh, I tried a Moby with Elijah and hated it. I know a lot of moms that love it, though! if you can wrap *in* the car I am extremely impressed!
jennymarie1981 said…
okay, now we've had a few weeks practice we're both getting the hang of it! It's gotten us through several church services and through three airports ;)