Red Velvet Cake Balls


I love Valentine's Day.

Since I'm working full this this year (something I haven't done since 2006!) I'm not able to go all out like I normally do.

But I did take some time this weekend to try a recipe I found on Pinterest a few months ago:

Red Velvet Cake Balls.

I'll admit, this was my first foray into the work of cakeballs, and while the taste amazing, it was way more time consuming than I really wanted for one of my precious Saturday evenings.



The recipe is pretty easy, you bake a red velvet cake (boxed is okay) and then break up the cake and mix it with a can of frosting. It's pretty fun to mix and roll the cake balls with your hands, but plan on everything being pink for a while :)

Then you are supposed to chill the balls. I didn't do this and I think that contributed to my problems with the chocolate coating. But then you basically just melt chocolate and coat each little ball. This is the time consuming part, so be prepared to stand over your stove for a while. Then let the balls set up on waxed paper.

I put them in these little baking cups. And then since I'm taking them for the ladies at work tomorrow (Shh! don't tell :) I put them in these brown bags.

So, overall, it was pretty fun, the taste amazing, and are dangerously portioned to keep you popping them all weekend....or maybe that's just us. But be prepared for a mess, and to be dipping cake balls for a while.

And the tags are another Pinterest find from dimple prints.
aren't they cute?!
I printed out the chevron bunting and hung it in our kitchen.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Comments