Rhubarb, I've Been Waiting for You

Ever since Amy directed me to this recipe, I've been dying to try it with Rhubarb. Sure, I've tried it with blue berries and apples, but I love rhubarb, so I was sure it would be even better. I think maybe it's the same Germanic genes that have me loving pickles, olives, and anything sour.

So I was so happy when a lady from my crochet circle (yes, I'm in a crochet circle...I know) was selling some of her rhubarb from her garden. I got two pounds and got right to work making cake.
How beautiful is rhubarb? My little point and shoot camera does not do it justice.

Big Crumb Coffee Cake with Rhubarb
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

for Rhubarb filling:
  • 1 lb. rhubarb, washed and trimmed into 1/2 in. pieces.
  • 1/2 C. granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325*
Grease 9x13 baking pan.
In large bowl, toss rhubarb with sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Set aside.

for Crumbs:
  • 2/3 C. dark brown sugar
  • 2/3 C. granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 C. butter, melted
  • 3 and 1/4 C. all purpose flour
In large bowl, whisk sugars, spices, and salt into melted butter until smooth. Add flour a little at a time as crumbs become solid. Press into bottom of bowl and set aside.

for Cake batter:
  • 2/3 C. sour cream
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 12 T. butter, room temp. cubed.
in small bowl, stir together sour cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla until smooth. Using mixer, mix flour, sugar, soda, powder and salt. Add butter and spoonful of sour cream mixture. Mix on med. til flour is moistened. Increase speed and mix for 30 sec. Add remaining sour cream mixture in two batches, beating for 20 sec. after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl. Save 1 C. of batter and reserve for later.

Scrape batter into greased pan. Cover with rhubarb and spoon reserved batter on top.

Break up crumb mixture and sprinkle over top.

Bake 55 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely. (If you can restrain yourself...it will make your house smell GOOD)
You're welcome.

Comments

Amy said…
doesn't that cake ROCK?! as soon as we get some rhubarb (we're going home in three weeks and will definitely be raiding my in-laws' patch) I am going to have to try it again with your modifications :)

did you see her new recipe for whole wheat rhubarb streusel muffins? itching to try that one too.