He Can Do This


I say I have faith...but then so did the disciples.

They left their lives, families, everything familiar to follow Jesus.

You have to believe with firm roots, if you are planning to intentionally pull up all your other stakes in life. And they did. Left careers, left boats, and followed.

They followed Him as He taught crowds of thousands, healed, and built the new Kingdom. They followed Him into a little boat across a lake and into a huge storm.

When they feared for their lives, they turned to their sleeping leader pleading for Him to save them. And Jesus said they had little faith.

Enough faith to plead and beg Him to save their lives...
not enough faith to trust Him without fear. To let Him sleep, trusting that they would be watched over.

I've read this story so many times I can't even tell you and I always thought Jesus rebuked them because they didn't believe He had the power to save them. But now I read this wondering if their faith was diminished and they were admonished because they lacked the trust that Jesus would USE His power to care for them.

Well, our little family is in a boat of a different kind.

Were headed down the journey of adoption, and while there are enough hurdles to overcome, enough storm clouds on our horizon, the big waves tossing our ship right now are about finances.

It's expensive.
And scary.
It's scary expensive.

I say that God will provide, and in my heart I have faith He will...but I still worry. I'm still afraid. I still wrestle with thoughts of,"It's not fair...no one else has to..."

So maybe the true sign of faith,
the true example of trusting
that God both HAS the power and resources to care for us...
and will USE it for our good
is peace.



He that can do this,
can do any thing,
which encourages confidence and comfort in him,
in the most stormy day,
within or without
-Matthew Henry

Comments

I am praying for you both and look forward to everyday that you write about your journey of faith and to the day you bring home the baby God has planned for you. You are an encouragement to me. Amy
Amy said…
they were admonished because they lacked the trust that Jesus would USE His power to care for them.

whoa. that is deep. I need to chew on that.

meanwhile, have you read this? http://randybohlender.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/but-what-about-the-money/

my favorite quote: "God has all the silver and Gold. God likes adoption. A lot of people like God. Those people and God talk...see where this is going?" :)