Nobody Knows the Truffles I've Seen



Truffles are my new favorite Christmas Candy to make.
In years past, I've tried my great-grandmother's English Toffee, my grandmother's Rocky Road, my mother's buckeyes and white-chocolate dipped Ritz and PB sandwiches, and last year it was Hazelnut biscotti.....but this year I decided to try Truffles. Why truffles? Because I love them. And because they are $2.50 a piece at our local gourmet chocolate shop. That's why.

I named last Tuesday "Truffle Tuesday" at the Richardson Home...which really spilled over to Truffle Wednesday. All in all, I made over 200 truffles and while most went into handmade gift boxes for the Life Group Leaders in our Youth Group...I think I ate my body weight in truffles.

Double Chocolate Truffles
  • 3 cups semi-sweet baking chips
  • 1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 T. vanilla extract
  • unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
Melt chocolate chips with milk in heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir well. Pour mixture into Med. bowl. Cover and Chill in fridge for 2-3 hours.

With melon-baller or small baking scoop, scoop out truffles. Roll in cocoa and Chill an additional hour until set. Keep in air-tight container in fridge until served. ( Makes 45)

Peanut Butter Truffles
  • 2 C. heavy whipping cream
  • 2 lbs. while chocolate, melted
  • 2 C. smooth Peanut Butter
  • 2 lbs. bitter sweet chocolate (or white chocolate) for coating
Scald cream in saucepan. Pour into bowl and chill in fridge. In large saucepan melt white chocolate over low heat. In mixing bowl, combine white chocolate and peanut butter. Add chilled cream and continue blending on high speed until smooth. Pour into large bowl and let set in fridge overnight.

After mixture is set, scoop out truffles using melon-baller or small baking scoop. Place balls on waxed paper lined jelly roll pans and set set in fridge for another hour. Melt coating chocolate in saucepan over low heat. Using a fork, dip each truffle and coat with chocolate. Place on waxed paper lined pans and place back into the fridge until served.


Comments