egg nog

Egg Nog:

Let's consider this my late Christmas Gift to you, okay?

The summer before I got married I worked at a Not-for Profit that provided support for new mothers. Full of wonderful, giving women, they threw me a bridal shower complete with a collection of everyone's favorite recipes. Among my favorites I received that day was the recipe for home-made egg nog. And while I initially thought it was odd to give a recipe for egg nog in the middle of a sweltering July...once I made the recipe I knew why they passed it on.

It is good...go-oood.

I can say that without bragging because the recipe was given to me. And now I give it to you.
(and if you feel squeemish about raw eggs...a chef told me that cooking is simply denaturing the eggs, and guess what also denatured eggs...SUGAR! )

Egg Nog
  • 1 doz. fresh eggs, separated
  • 1/2 C. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 C. light corn syrup
  • 2 pints half and half
  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, melted
  • nutmeg to taste.
Beat egg whites until frothy. Add 1/4 C. sugar gradually. Beat until peaks form.
In separate bowl, add 1/4 C. sugar and whisk in egg yolks. Add corn syrup and half and half and whisk well. Add melted ice cream and fold in egg whites. Sprinkle with nutmeg to taste and serve COLD.

Comments