On Being a Detective


I'm sitting here missing my husband so much I can hardly stand it.

And I dropped him off at the airport exactly 10 hours ago.

I think it might have a little something to do with the series of guest posts from A Cup of Jo entitled "secrets to a happy marriage." How wonderful to read of thoughtful, intentional, joyful unions! Although probably not the best reading when I'll have to be without my love for the next four days while we officiates the wedding of friends in NY state.

The articles got me thinking of what I would write if I were to answer that question. I think it would go a little something like this:

be a detective of good things.

I learned this phrase when working with social work clients, but the concept of looking to bring out the best in other people rings so true in marriage. Sara Groves has a song where she sings, "if we go looking for offense, we're gonna find it. If we go looking for real love, we're gonna find it."

I'm not perfect, and neither is my groom, but focusing on the pain and misgivings of each other has never brought us closer together. I find that when I'm a detective for all his wonderful, humorous, and generous qualities, they appear.

and the fact that I'm happy in my marriage is no secret.

Comments