One Day


I think I was a wife before I got married.

Or at least, I was trying to be. Trying to develop the character of a godly, patient, generous wife before I even met the man I would eventually marry. I did my college laundry with care, savoring the fact that one day I would folding towels, socks, and pants for two. I tried to help out at home knowing that eventually, hopefully, there would be a husband at the receiving end of my service. And I even tried to watch my words as a high schooler, practicing to speak with love to the man with whom I would share my life.

And then he came.

When I wasn't even looking for him, he sat at my table at "Shake Night" at our dorm.

And I'd like to think I was ready...as ready as we ever can be to lose ourselves to share life with another person.

Becoming a better wife is something I'll never stop working on...but I'm adding another project to the list.

I'm not a mother yet.

I probably won't be for a while. But I can start practicing for the day when there is a little floppy, impatient, red-in-the-face person screaming for my attention. I can try to keep the floor clean enough to *literally* eat off of. I can strive to return sharp answers with soft ones and to put my own needs ahead of someone else's. I can place myself in the center of God's will and under his instruction because one day...hopefully...there will be little eyes, a little tender heart and developing mind soaking in everything that I say and do.

And then,
maybe....
one day.

he will come.

"I must try to practise all the virtues I would have all my little girls possess, for I was their example. It was easier to try for your sakes than for my own."
-Louise May Alcott, Little Women

Comments

One day is right, and you will be the greatest mom I have no doubt. I have a lot to learn from you. Jenny you never cease to amaze me.