I can't watch the news anymore

I don't think I can watch the local news anymore. It's not good for my soul. It seems I either end up getting frustrated or in hopeless tears. Why is the news a study of polar opposites? It seems it is either mindless minutia of no purpose or consequence, or tales of horrid life-altering violence inflicted by one man on another. Either way...not the stuff I want to fill my mind with at the end of the day.

Weight management strategies to get rid of those annoying last 10 pounds are paraded along the latest assault with deadly weapons.

The newest and prettiest shopping destinations are displayed and sensationalized immediately following crushing pictures of families who lost their child to senseless violence.

I don't understand. Why does the news seem to either be voyeristic or overly inflated in terms of true importance?

I'm not sure, but I don't think I need to know this stuff to be an articulate, informed human being.

I also think I see this imbalance at work. It's either petty stuff of no true consequence, the details blown way out of proportion or heart-breaking ugliness. And I'm not going to lie, I've been getting a lot of ugliness spewed on me. Though I work in a hospital, it's the mental hospital. So even though, believe me, I have cleaned up more than my fair share of human bodily secreations, the bile that MY patients spew is from soul rot.

So it's either worlds falling apart or lost socks. What we lack is perspective and right priorities.

From the news to the mental wards we need lessons on what is truly worthy of our efforts and attentions and then how to respond to each accordingly. I don't know how to do this....but I don't think I can watch the news anymore.

Comments