Thank You

"I think the dying pray at the last
not please,
but thank you."

-Annie Dillard



There has been a loss in our family.
A great loss.
A kind, generous, quick-witted, faithful, good, and gentle man left this Earth last Saturday.

He's my uncle and we loved him.

Yet the emotions of gratitude are so complexly intertwined with grief. We grieve the hole he left in our family, especially my Aunt's life. Yet we're grateful for assurance of his presence with God. Thankful he is whole and healed. Thankful for all the memories and laughter he brought to our lives. Thankful for the legacy he left.


Yet, he still left. And we're sad.


So as I grieve here, away from family, how appropriate to do a little intertwining. To crochet a shawl for my dear Auntie. Simple and rhythmic. A prayer with each triple-stepped double crochet.


Prayers not of "Please," but of "Thank You."

Comments