A Tale of Two Dresses

My mother does not like to shop.

I spent over 5 and a half hours shopping last Saturday.

Clearly the "love of good sale" gene skipped over a generation in our lineage and landed squarely on me. Because, while my mother views shopping as the perfect storm of her least favorite things (dressing room mirrors and spending money, taking the lead) My Grandmother, as I have been told, loved to shop. So I like to think that I get that from her.

My mom tells a story of one shopping trip with my Grandma. They were at a downtown boutique searching for my mother's going away dress for her wedding when she found two dresses that she liked. As she was debating and trying to narrow down her choice between then two, my Grandmother looked at her daughter and said, "Just get them BOTH, dear!" She did.

During my five and a half hour adventure in the outlet malls, I too ran across two dresses that were feminine and flattering. As I stood staring in the dressing room mirror, I remembered that story and those other two dresses. I thought I heard my Grandmother's memory whisper to me, "Just get them both, dear."

So I did.

Comments