A Makeover from the Inside Out

image via delish

Right before we moved to Iowa I was diagnosed with PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. After five years of searching for a reasonable diagnosis and meeting with eight different doctors, I finally felt like I had something that made sense. Finally, someone saw the tiredness, hair loss, blemishes, lack of mental clarity, and irritability as symptoms of an underlying syndrome, not just temporary inconveniences to "get over."

I had a diagnosis but as far as treatment I was told, "Here, take these pills to even out your hormones and when you want to have a baby, we'll put you on even more pills."

That's when I decided to go to the library. Since coming to Iowa, I am still searching for a new doctor and have since, let my prescription run out. What I lack in pharmaceuticals, I'm making up for in personal empowerment. Reading books and gaining knowledge on how to get healthier as a means of treatment. And in small steps I'm shoring up my footing after years of faltering through exhaustion and disillusionment.

A healthier me means exercising, and with my back problems that means water aerobics with sweet older ladies in the morning a few times a week. It also means keeping my blood sugar in check. I went to see a nutritionist and overhauled our cupboards. All that once was white is now brown: high fiber cereal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta and flour. It means cutting out almost all sugar and eating a lot of fiber and fresh fruit and veggies. A healthier me means talking vitamins and supplements and eating 5 times day.

So what's a girl to do with a new eating plan and a library card...search for new healthy recipes. And I have to tell you, I'm falling hard for all the recipes in the Barefoot Contessa's arsenal. Fresh ingredients, solid flavors without too much pretense...I'm adding a lot to my recipe box. And here is one of our new favorites. I will warn you, It takes a good afternoon to make with making your own meatballs and all the chopping. (I used turkey instead of the chicken and I think it's a keeper). I always make a batch of brown bread with soups like this, so I feel like a conductor keeping up with the symphony in my kitchen. Enjoy!

Italian Wedding Soup

For the meatballs:

  • 1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 pound turkey sausage
  • 2/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste

For the soup:

  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 cup minced yellow onion
  • 1 cup diced carrots (3 carrots), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup diced celery (2 stalks), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 10 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup small pasta such as tubetini or stars
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
  • 12 ounces baby spinach, washed and trimmed

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the meatballs, place the ground turkey, sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Pecorino, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork. ( I used my hands to mix and to make meatballs.) With a teaspoon, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (You should have about 40 meatballs. They don't have to be perfectly round.) Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.

In the meantime, for the soup, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the simmering broth and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add the fresh dill and then the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for 1 minute, until the spinach is just wilted. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan.

Comments