small good thing

"Eating is a small, good thing at a time like this."
—Raymond Carver



You can tell the kind of week I had by looking at my laundry hamper. On the bottom of the heap are clothes covered in flour and butter. The beginning of last week was busily spent baking and packing, preparing for all the festivities to come. Then on toward the top, all my clothes are covered in baby spit and birthday cake. In equal measure.

Oh so many babies...bliss. And eating birthday cake. Everyday. Double Bliss.

And with almost every baby that has come into our church and family over the past few years, I've baked. Cakes, Brownies, Biscuits, and Bread went from our little kitchen into the sleep deprived hands of new mothers and fathers. Because when there is a new little one in the house, I know I would choose to feel the heft of a tiny bottom in my hand than a flour sack and measuring cup anyday.

And with this new little niece, another dinner. Chicken Pot Pie it was. And in the foggy state of late night feedings and diaper changes, what a joy to provide that small good thing of a home cooked dinner. So that they could cuddle and coo over their other
small
good
thing.

Comments