Words that Take My Breath Away v.2

"I realised what the feeling was that had besetted me since I had stepped that morning into the glassy glare of Mr. Todd's consulting rooms. It was embarrassment. Anna felt it was well, I was sure of it. Embarrassment, yes, a panic-stricken sense of not knowing what to say, where to look, how to behave, and something else, too, that was not quite anger but a sort of surly annoyance, a surly resentment at the predicament in which we grimly found ourselves. It was as if a secret had been imparted to us so dirty, so nasty, that we could hardly bear to remain in one another's company yet were unable to break free, each knowing the foul thing that the other knew and bound together by that knowledge. From this day forward all would be disembling. There would be no other way to live with death."
John Banville-The Sea

Comments