2, 4, 6, 8, Handmade Crafters Advocate!!

Okay, so I don't pass on e-mail forwards. I don't belong to chatrooms, and I don't write about (many) political issues here. But if you know anything about me, you know that one thing dearest to my heart is creating. And maybe a close second is gifting. So if I can give things that I have made with my own two hands, then my heart is full.

So I feel like I need to breath into a brown paper bag when I read this about the CPSIA, or the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. This landmark piece of legislation (which was the medal on the chests of last years congress) is a great example of what happens when they pass bills without really reading it or considering all the ramifications. This act basically will make home or handmade gifts for children illegal. It could cripple thousands of cottage businesses, outlaw that baby blanket you quilted for a friend, and BAN CHILDREN FROM THE LIBRARY: What?! It will mean that the ecomomically depressed will no longer have the option to shop for their children at second-hand shops and will mean that all those useful goods will have a one-way ticket to the landfill.

So if you want to receive a crocheted baby blanket or a scrapbook from me in the near future, or want to keep open darling shops like this one; write your congressperson, read up, and spread the word. Or maybe the crafters of the world will form a subversize underground posse, running from the law and getting knitting needles tattoos...

Comments

motherofsix said…
Can anyone provide an example of a child that has been hurt by lead in toys in the past 5 years? My Senators and Representative can't. I can't find anything on the internet. I'm starting to wonder if the whole lead scare isn't just a boogeyman -- frightening, but not a real threat. The one child who died last year from lead poisoning would not have been protected by the CPSIA legislation. He ate a charm from his mother's bracelet. It wasn't a product intended for children at all. I'm puzzled over how Congress would jeopardize tens of thousands of small businesses, thrift, and resale stores over an imaginary threat like lead in the tire valve of a child's bike, or in the carburetor of a small ATV. Maybe they were just hoping to provide more work for attorneys!