Olympic


So the Olympics have always been a time of change for me. It was in 1996 when I was preparing to enter high school. The 2000 games came right before I left for college. Both of these summers, I held on to the games, because after they were over came the inevitable, life change.

Yet I made it through high school and more amazingly college. (Even though I can remember being so scared as I packed up my stuff I could hardle breathe.)

Then just four short years later came a whole new set of challenges. Marriage, a new state, trying to make friends, ministry, first time job hunting, and putting together a home. Our first day back from our honeymoon the Athens games started. The Olympics were on all the time in our little apartment in 2004. We had rabbit-ears on our TV and we would sit together in the evenings (and on Nathan's lunch breaks when he came home to visit me) trying to take in all the changes our little family was dealing with.

And now it's been four years later. We actually have a smaller apartment than we did four years ago. Still have no cable for our TV. And the Olympics are on a lot in our home. We've had a lot of changes in these past four years and as soon as the games are over, more changes will bear down on us.

So linger a little longer athletes, international celebration go slow. Because upon your wake, life will change and break once again. And the changes I'm celebrating this year are on a smaller scale. Lighter spirits, stronger relationships, broken body, and all.

Comments