a syllabus for life

syl·la·bus [sil-uh-buhs]
–noun, plural -bus·es, -bi
1. an outline or other brief statement of the main points of a discourse, the subjects of a course of lectures, the contents of a curriculum, etc.

I was talking with a dear friend the other day and we discussed how we are both externally motivated when it comes to learning. She stated she enjoyed other people setting the bar high because she enjoys the challenge of striving to meet and exceed these expectations.

So I decided I need a syllabus for life. I need an outline for my self-learning journey....until that far away day when I enter grad school and get a real syllabus.

This got me thinking about those books that have touched my life and changed the lens through which I see other people's experiences. There have been so many times when I have been talking with people at work, and though I have never been close to experiencing some of the things that they have...I have read about them. While this may be a pale comparison...I believe it can be a starting point for empathy.

I truly do not believe I would be the person I am today if it were not for the books I have read. Though no children are in my immediate future...one day I hope to share books that I have loved with my children, praying that the experiences, thoughts, and narratives mean as much to them as they have to me.

So here are a few books that I think should be included on the syllabus for life.

*Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes
*A Lesson Before Dying, Ernest Gaines
*The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S.Lewis
*God Grew Tired of Us, John Bul Dao
*Alcoholics Anonymous "The Big Book"
*To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee
*An Unquiet Mind, Kay Redfield Jamison
*Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Annie Dillard
*The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver


Still a work in progress...what would you include?

Comments

pray.trust.live said…
There are two books that I have read multiple times and each time I read them I am more stretched and challenged. The first one is Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard. It's an allegory of the Christian life and it's SO powerful. The second is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Its a retelling of the book of Hosea set in the early days of the West. SO awesome for shifting the paradigm on how deeply God loves us. : )
I really enjoyed Poisonwood Bible. Good food for thought.

I have to "second" Redeeming Love. Again, great story and great things to think about. Totally new perspective on the book of Hosea - God is amazing - and I have so much to learn and so far to go to become more like Him.

Have a great weekend!
Michelle
Rebee said…
My favorite of all times is A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken.
:-)