Survival


Well I made it through my first night-shift. Life has a funny way of catching you off guard. While I thought my biggest struggle would be staying awake...it was surprisingly easy. Instead the biggest challenge came in the relationship between my co-workers.

Interesting that a night of "old school meets new school in the workplace" came just hours after we watched a report on 60 minutes sunday night entitled "The Millennials are Coming:"

(CBS) "Stand back all bosses! A new breed of American worker is about to attack everything you hold sacred: from giving orders, to your starched white shirt and tie. They are called, among other things, "millennials." There are about 80 million of them, born between 1980 and 1995, and they're rapidly taking over from the baby boomers who are now pushing 60...
They were raised by doting parents who told them they are special, played in little leagues with no winners or losers, or all winners. They are laden with trophies just for participating and they think your business-as-usual ethic is for the birds. And if you persist in the belief you can, take your job and shove it.
"And figuring it out takes time. Sociologists tell us most Americans believe adulthood begins at 26 or older and that having witnessed so many sacrifices by their parents to achieve middle class security has had a huge impact. Family and friends are the new priorities, while blind careerism is beginning to fade."


And while I don't believe that all the demands of my fellow co-workers should ALL be in place...coming to work at 10, jeans and flip-flops, and no negative feedback are not exactly in my wish list...I am a bigger fan of the coaching approach than the "in your face, talk down to you" approach to management.

I don't think answers will come easily all the time, but for now, I am trying not to take it personally and trying to not be passive aggressive toward the offending co-worker. I have the privledge of serving the mentally ill and desire to make the patient care my priority, even if I'm not best friends with every nurse.

however, according to the report, I guess I have been an adult for the past three weeks. and I'm still trying to figure out what Jenny as an adult looks like. I'm still figuring out how I fit into the work place...and I guess the work world is still trying to figure us out too.

check out the full transcript here:
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/08/60minutes/main3475200.shtml

Comments