I guess these Pulitzer people knew what they're talking about...




I was wandering through the dusty shelves of long- forgotten paperbacks in the used book store in my hometown this summer (stocking up on novels for our months of living out of our mini-van) when I stumbled upon a copy of The Shipping News. It was on sale and I saw that it had been made into a movie. Based upong those two facts, I made the purchase.

Only after getting it home, did I realize all the awards that the book had merited: a Pulitzer, a National Book Award, an Irish Times International Fiction Prize, a notable book of the year naming by The New York Times and a Chicago Tribune Heartland Award. Yet I was still a little skeptical that this book would grab me.

Well I guess these award people knew what they were talking about. It is truly a masterpiece. beautifully crafted, well paced, artful descriptons, endearing characters, all in a brilliant native voice.

My overall impressions echo the sentiments of this book reviewer : "The only thing I regret about having read this book is that I can never come to it for the first time again, to be freshly astonished by its quiet truths and its artful blending of dark humor and honest warmth."

Comments

pray.trust.live said…
Sounds like something I should borrow. : )