Life in Numbers

At long last we are back on the grid. The last week was spent at the Richardson Family compound on East Grand Lake Maine. This is a HUGE lake...think 16 miles of water. We never even left our cove. I think I handled life without running water or electricity quite well, thank you very much. I (eventually) stopped whining about using the outhouse and taking baths in the lake. (pretty weird to wash up with a semi-circle of relatives looking at you)

It was wonderful to slow life down a little, to share recipies and treasured desserts that are shared for this one week a year, to spend lots of time just talking ( or not talking, just being) with those that you only see once a year. It was great to talk about old memories and experience new times that will go down in history and eventually take on a life of their own (remember when that firework tipped and shot straight into our circle of chairs?)

So here is a summary of the week in numbers:

*books that I have read: 3 (God Grew Tired of Us, Midwives, and a Map of the World)
*moose that I have heard: 1
*moose that I have seen: 0 (not counting the dead one on the side of the road last year)
*pictures that I took:0 (forgot to bring camera charger from NY...nertz)
*people who used the same outhouse on the fourth of july: 28...yes 28
*whoopie pies that I consumed : 3
*whoopie pies that I could have consumed if allowed: 30....sooo good
*mosquito bites on my body:73...yes I counted them all before I wrote this ( Nathan still believes that my using OFF attracts them because he uses no spray stuff and the little blood suckers leave him alone)
*days it rained: 5
*days that the rain stopped as soon as we got in the cabin: 5
*days that the sun was absolutely gorgeous: 5
*days that I layed out and read for hours:5
*Kayak trips around the cove: 2
*trips on the boat: 4
*loons that I saw:4
*nights that loon calls lulled me to sleep: 2
*days that I was stressed or worried about our future:0

Comments

Unknown said…
You're such a talented writer, I so enjoy reading your writing Jenny. Sounds like you guys are on quite the adventure, sounds fun, thanks for the updates! They're great! We're praying for you!
Danielle:)
sc1enceteacher said…
I have also heard that eating garlic prompts bugs to leave you along...works for me...however more than bugs may stay away from you. ;)